Sunday, May 31, 2009

Training Diary - Ojai Century

As a final tune up, I rode in the Ojai Century this weekend in Ojai, CA. I thought I was in for a beautiful 100 mile ride in the mountains surrounding Ojai and then down to the coast for nice 25 miles downwind stretch before ascending the Ojai grade to the finish. As it turned out, June gloom left us with nice cool weather and RAIN! on the decent to the coast. It felt like it was about 35 degrees, even though it was probably more like 60. The wind on the coast was in our favor, however, and I was able to finish the 100 miles and 4,000 feet of climbing at my goal time of 5.5 hours of saddle time.

That will probably be my last long ride prior to our start. I will spend the next couple of weeks spinning through 50 mile rides in the Santa Monica Mountains and tapering to build reserves and energy.

As a team we are finalizing our plans. During the race we will have some posts from our support team as well as it seems that the logistics of this beast are as all consuming as the training. God bless our support team (Sharon Sherman, Mark Sherman, Chris Olsson and we have a couple more that will joining us as well) as well as our spouses and families for all their support!

No comments:

Post a Comment